- This enchanting bronze-color wind chime is tuned to 5 notes that make up the principal motif of a work by the great japanese composer toru takemitsu
- 5 bronze-colored aluminum tubes; cherry wood top, clapper and wind catcher; durable, braided nylon cord
- Medium-sized, classic-style chime provides soothing and meditative tones for your yard or garden
- A portion of the proceeds from sales of this chime benefit the tibet house of new york, an organization dedicated to preserving tibetan culture
- Measures 25.5-Inch overall length; 19.5-Inch from the top wooden piece to the bottom of the wind catcher; longest tube is 14-Inch
The tibetan prayer chime is tuned to the musical theme commissioned to celebrate the 100th anniversary of carnegie hall. At carnegie hall, composer toru takemitsu's work, from me flows what you call time, featured 2 large custom sets of woodstock chimes suspended above the audience and activated by colored ribbons that extend to the performers on stage. These ribbons represent the colors of tibetan prayer flags. A portion of the proceeds of the sale of this chime will be donated to tibet house us to support their goal of preserving tibetan culture. Woodstock chimes are the original, musically-tuned, high-quality windchimes known worldwide for their superior sound. When listening to a woodstock chime, you hear a fine musical instrument played by the wind, perfectly hand-tuned using the ancient system of "just intonation" based on natural harmonics. This means the frequencies at which the different tubes vibrate are related to one another by simple whole-number ratios. Tones that are related in this way produce the most beautiful musical intervals. The sonic effect is exceptionally pure and soothing. More than 30 years ago, the first woodstock chime was created by founder and owner garry kvistad from an aluminum lawn chair he found in a landfill. As a professional musician and instrument designer, he was fascinated by the scales of olympos, a 7th century pentatonic scale that can't be played on a modern piano. Garry had the idea to cut and tune the lawn chair tubes to the exact frequency of the ancient scale. The resulting chimes of olympos was the first woodstock chime and is still one of our bestselling windchimes. Garry and his wife diane founded woodstock percussion, inc. In 1979 and it remains a family-owned business in new york's hudson valley.